June 21, 2012

Magazine Review - July 2012 Better Homes and Gardens

If you've been following my blog...

{and it would make me so happy if you would be a follower!}

You already know that I'm taking
an e-course from Holly Becker of decor8

It's been so much fun that I almost forget it's a class!

To fulfill this week's homework assignment,
I'm going to review the 
July 2012 issue of Better Homes & Gardens magazine!

{a.k.a. BHG}

I've been a subscriber to this magazine for many years,
as well as one of its sister magazines,

For some reason, this particular issue of BHG
rises above many other editions
and other magazine titles, in my eyes.
As I flipped through the magazine the first time,
I found myself dog-earing this page and that page,
making plans to come back and try lots of ideas.



This entire issue was devoted
to bargains and low-cost style, and
I feel as if they were directing all of the features
at people who are just like me!

{BARGAIN?  Yes, please!}


When I sit down to read a magazine,
I think it's as relaxing and energizing
as a spa treatment.
This issue made me feel like I'd just spent a whole week at a resort!


{I've never actually had a spa treatment, but I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy that, too.}

Here are some of my favorite pages from this issue,
beginning with the decorating and entertaining ideas...


{There are too many dog-eared pages to list in this post!}

I'm crazy over this beautiful and simple table setting,
in a variation on red, white and blue
for a summer get-together!
It would be so pretty on a picnic table,
set up for a nice evening with some friends and family.


{Or on my own Better Homes & Gardens deck furniture!}



Here's an article featuring a bench that came from the
clearance section of Walmart.
  The owners painted the legs and added new upholstery.

{I can truly visualize myself doing this!}



The fashion feature shows lots of items that are
from some stores I've actually shopped in...
each one is so stylish and colorful!

{So cute, huh?}


And then there's the food...


Wouldn't a Peach Pie Milkshake
make the perfect summer dessert?




I tore out the page with a recipe for
Fresh Corn Salad
the very first time I read through this issue.


{Here it is on my refrigerator, held in place with my Zakka Style magnets.}



As I gathered the ingredients to test this recipe,
I got the inspiration for my first LIVING COLOR post.




I didn't have every ingredient on hand, but there was nothing 
in the recipe that was too exotic.


{I should have had a cucumber and some sweet peppers on hand, 
but I was caught off-guard this time.  I'll add them in next time. 
Also, my basil isn't ready for harvesting yet, so I just used some dried herbs.}


I chopped a red onion, halved some cherry tomatoes,
mixed up the tangy-sweet dressing, and blanched some sweet corn...




And a few minutes later, I enjoyed a fresh and
fabulous good-for-you side dish!


{As I mentioned before...everything tastes extra good in my Mom's Pyrex bowls! }




I think I'll take a batch of this salad to our family reunion this weekend!


If you haven't already subscribed, 
hurry to pick up a copy of this month's BHG magazine!
I bet there's something in it for you, too!
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I love BHG! And APQ as well. Very nice review, as I haven't seen this months issue yet, so I'll have to grab one. Great job, Amy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review, Amy! Love how you brought in the real thing at the end! It looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and will read each and every one, even if I am not able to reply to all of them.