May 15, 2014

Briar Rose Needle Book - Swap Inspiration

Hello, Friends!

{I'm happy to say we're off to a great start already. Flickr group is here.}

Today I'd like to describe my Briar Rose sample,
and share some ideas for the design details.


I started with a fabric stack
that I'd put together to make this Noodlehead Divided Basket.

I love the unexpected color scheme:
lilac and gold.


I began with prints from Briar Rose by Heather Ross,
along with a geometric print from an early
Jennifer Paganelli line, Bell Bottoms.
A solid from Free Spirit - called Spark Gold - ties it all together.


begins with a piece of patchwork.
Can you believe this is the back of the needle book?

{I'm going to have to make one with a patchwork front next time.}


This time, though, I used the solid gold fabric for the front,
and I added a cute little detail,
using ribbon tape.


I stole borrowed that design idea from
 Kristyne of Pretty By Hand blog,
who is an expert at making these needle books.


I bought my ribbon tape 
and can recommend this shop wholeheartedly.


Now, on the inside, I've used some luscious wool felt,
which I bought from another favorite shop on Etsy,


I could not resist buying a stack of felt,
in gorgeous bright colors.


Also, I chose some neutrals.


For my needle book, I selected,
after much thought and consideration...
the WHITE felt.

{The irony is not lost on me. But it just looks so good.}


See that golden ric rac?
I had a tiny spool of it, part of a set I found at JoAnn,
and I think it looks great, holding some fancy pins
and a little swatch of the lilac fabric.


Do you like my little sample?
I've decided to give it away,
to someone who joins the

Everyone who signs up is automatically entered
for the random drawing.

{Because everyone needs a little surprise in their mailbox now and then.}


Pin It

9 comments:

  1. Your needlebook is gorgeous, love the colours you have chosen!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, I love the Briar Rose collection, pretty, love the patchwork on the needle book, but alas I am allergic to Wool, had dreams of being a sheep herder as a child, til I touched Wool, looked like road rash on my arms, face and chest.. Oh Boy, but I signed up for swap, and I will enjoy it as much as the skinny pinny one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the Briar Rose fabric in my stash too. I love it! Your needlebook (and basket) are amazingly beautiful! :) You never disappoint, Amy! And thanks for the link to the twill. I just ordered some. I love having cute little things like that in my stash. They just add the perfect touch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waiting to receive some Briar Rose fabric, can't wait. Your needlebook is so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Amy....! This little needle book is adorable. I love the color combo... I have always loved yellow and purple together, but I've never even considered gold and lilac. This is a wonderful surprise pairing. Great inspiration for our Need a Little Needle Book Swap projects! You are one sweet and clever Swap Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is just the perfect book for the basket! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sew cute.... and functional! But totally fun in these precious fabrics!!
    As usual... I LOVE what you made!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Amy, Just sent you an email as I would love to join in this swap.
    L
    Monkey Business & Quilts

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and will read each and every one, even if I am not able to reply to all of them.